What are vectors?
A vector is a fundamental math concept that's used extensively in engineering. Understanding the math behind vectors before you start using vectors in engineering courses improves your comprehension and makes the learning curve much shorter.
Who is this course for?
This course is designed for students in engineering who need a review of vector concepts before taking courses such as Statics, Dynamics, Fluid Mechanics and Vector Calculus.
What you'll get with the course...
- 5.5 hours of on-demand lecture videos
- 35+ fully-worked examples to teach you how to apply the material
- 7 homework sets with solutions so you can practice what you've learned
- Downloadable outline of notes with all example problem statements to help you follow along with the lectures
- Email access to the instructor for when you have questions over course content
What you'll learn
This course covers all you need to get started with vectors. We'll cover:
- Notation & terms
- Addition & subtraction
- Position vectors
- Unit vectors
- 2D & 3D Cartesian vectors
- Properties of vectors
- Finding vectors using transverse and azimuth angles
- Dot product
- Direction cosines
- Cross Product
- Finding area and volume of parallelograms and triangles
Curious what the course is like? Check out the previews below!
- Vector Basics Outline of Notes Downloadable File
- 1.1 Introduction (14:44)
- 1.2 Addition and Subtraction (11:34)
- Example Set 1 (10:48)
- Homework 1
- Homework 1 Solution
- 1.3 Position Vector (6:41)
- Example Set 2 (11:38)
- Homework 2
- Homework 2 Solution
- 1.4 2d Cartesian Vectors (22:02)
- Example Set 3 Part 1 (18:00)
- Example Set 3 Part 2 (30:37)
- Homework 3
- Homework 3 Solution
- 1.5 3D Cartesian Vectors (27:40)
- Example Set 4 Part 1 (17:50)
- Example Set 4 Part 2 (24:00)
- Homework 4
- Homework 4 Solution
- 1.6 Dot Product (14:15)
- 1.7 Orthogonal Vectors and Direction Cosines (21:34)
- Example Set 5 (27:28)
- Homework 5
- Homework 5 Solution
- 1.8 Cross Product (25:04)
- Example Set 6 Part 1 (14:15)
- Example Set 6 Part 2 (8:42)
- Homework 6
- Homework 6 Solution
- 1.9 Area and Volume (9:12)
- Example Set 7 (20:54)
- Homework 7
- Homework 7 Solution
The courses below will give you the opportunity to apply what you learn about vectors
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the course start and finish?
The course starts now and never ends! It is a completely self-paced online course - you decide when you start and when you finish.
How long do I have access to the course?
How does lifetime access sound? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like - across any and all devices you own.
What if I am unhappy with the course?
We would never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact us in the first 30 days and we will give you a full refund.