MATLAB - What is it & why do you need it?
MATLAB is a widely-used software program that is found in many industries ranging from engineering to finance. Users love it because it's easy to use and produces high quality graphics. All you have to do to get started is learn to code in MATLAB.
This course will teach you just that! We will start from the very beginning by introducing the desktop environment and work our way up to more complex topics like nested for loops. We'll cover lots of examples and work through all of them step by step. Unlike many instructors, I don't assume you know more than you do.
What will you learn in this course?
Let me tell you about it. Here's what you'll learn:
- Matrices and Vectors
- 2-D Plotting
- User-defined functions
- Logical statements: if-elseif, switch-case
- Looping techniques: for and while loops, nested loops
- Advanced functions: anonymous functions, subfunctions, variable input/output functions
- Math techniques: integration, differentiation, symbolic expressions, polynomials, curve fitting
- And more!
What you'll get with the course...
- Lecture slides for each chapter to give you the background you need for each topic (9 Chapters)
- Booklet of examples for each chapter to allow you to practice on your own or along with me in the videos
- Quizzes (23 of them) with video solutions
- 2 exams and 1 final exam with video solutions
- Certificate of Completion once you finish the course
- 23.5 hours of on-demand lecture videos featuring detailed explanations of all topics
- Explanations of all the examples to increase your comprehension
- Solutions to all quizzes and exams in case you get stuck
Not ready to enroll yet?
Test out STEM Course Prep by enrolling in my FREE Logicals course!
StartChapter 1 Slides and Examples PDFs
StartChapter 1 Slides 1_5 MATLAB Desktop Environment (7:00)
StartChapter 1 Slides 1_5 MATLAB Desktop Environment Examples (5:13)
StartChapter 1 Slides 6-8 Assigning Variables (8:06)
StartChapter 1 Slides 6-8 Assigning Variables Examples (4:24)
StartChapter 1 Slides 9-11 Variable Names and Type Casting (10:25)
StartChapter 1 Slides 9-11 Variable Names and Type Casting Examples (6:30)
StartChapter 1 Slides 12-15 Expressions and Formatting (9:13)
StartChapter 1 Slides 12-15 Expressions and Formatting Examples (8:23)
StartChapter 1 Slides 16-21 Built-in Functions and Help (12:32)
StartChapter 1 Slides 16-21 Built-In Functions and Help Examples (13:20)
StartChapter 1 Slide 22 Relational Expressions (2:33)
StartChapter 1 Slide 22 Relational Expressions Examples (2:28)
StartChapter 2 Slides and Examples PDFs
StartChapter 2 Slides 1-5 (11:05)
StartChapter 2 Slides 6-11 (14:07)
StartChapter 2 Slides 1-11 Examples (10:10)
StartChapter 2 Slides 12-14 (7:13)
StartChapter 2 Slides 12-14 Examples (3:49)
StartChapter 2 Slides 15-19 (14:52)
StartChapter 2 Slides 15-19 Examples (6:02)
StartChapter 2 Slides 20-23 (8:00)
StartChapter 2 Slides 20-23 Examples (7:24)
StartChapter 2 Slides 24-26 (6:48)
StartChapter 2 Slides 27-28 (8:44)
StartChapter 2 Slides 24-28 Examples (5:11)
StartChapter 2 Slides 29-30 (3:33)
StartChapter 2 Slides 29-30 Examples (6:14)
StartChapter 2 Slide 31 (4:26)
StartChapter 2 Slide 31 Examples (6:06)
StartChapter 2 Slides 32-36 (10:53)
StartChapter 2 Slides 32-36 Examples (9:00)
StartChapter 2 Slides 37-41 (9:16)
StartChapter 2 Slides 37-41 Examples (5:50)
Teaching is my passion. As a University professor I have taught 1000's of students and watched them transform from freshmen into successful engineers. Unlike many STEM professors, I believe in teaching complex material in simple, easy-to-understand terms. I teach my courses in a way I wish I had been taught: straightforward lectures with plenty of examples on how to apply the theory being learned.
In addition to University experience, I also worked as an engineer for 8 years in industry at a well-known defense company. This experience enables me to focus in on topics that are actually applicable in the real world, not just textbook problems.
Come learn with me!
Why this course instead of other online MATLAB courses?
- I have taught MATLAB many, many times. I know what works for students and what doesn't. This course is structured differently from others available online. Other instructors just show themselves typing code in MATLAB as they explain the topics. I don't think that's the best way for you to learn.
- In this course, we will have a brief lecture with slides discussing the concepts. You will also be provided with a downloadable booklet of examples for each chapter and we will work through them together. This gives you the opportunity to code while having someone walk you through it at the same time.
- The only way to learn coding is to write code yourself so I have created 23 quizzes and 3 exams for you to test your knowledge. Don't worry though, video solutions are provided in case you get stuck.
- Another benefit of this course is the rigor of the examples, quizzes and exams. I don't always give simple one step problems. Many of the problems you will work will require a combination of topics and steps, allowing you to further enhance your skills.
And just to make sure this class will work for you...
Fundamental topics from calculus and physics are used so it is helpful (but not required) to know basics like vectors, derivatives, and integrals.
One last thing...
You might be wondering about a textbook for reference. The one I always use in my course is MATLAB: A Practical Introduction to Programming and Problem Solving
by Stormy Attaway. This book isn't necessary for this course but I
recommend it as a source for additional problems to enhance your
(Disclosure: The textbook link is an affiliate link. What does that
mean? It means that, at no cost to you, I will receive a small
commission if you click through the link and purchase the textbook.
That being said, whether you purchase the text through here or
elsewhere, I still highly recommend the text. It really is a great